Monday, September 6, 2010

Home

I've been trying for awhile now to sum up my feelings on my new "home," this new place I live. I've never sat down and actually written something out, which would probably make the most sense. Instead, I just think about it. A lot. The truth is, I'm still figuring it out.


Some days I actually quite like Tennessee. Other days, I don't dislike it, per se, I just like it less. Knoxville isn't a large city. In fact, it's quite small. Some days it feels too small. The other day I was listening to Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York" and the phrase "My little town blues are melting away" hit me and I let out a big sigh when I realized that maybe I had the "little town blues" and that part of the "like it less" days are a direct result of missing the bigger city life (which I know I haven't lived in awhile, but has never quite left my system). Sure, there is something charming about lesser populated areas, but I found myself missing the hustle and bustle of city life: taxi cabs honking at each other, the sounds of the horns reverberating from buildings; watching people get off the subway and make their way to work in their suits and fancy shoes, etc. That's not Knoxville. Not at all. (Although I have noticed that there is a large group of women here who dress up super fancy just to go to the grocery store. I think those are the same women who just came from a day of tennis at the local country club, which there seem to be plenty of. Now that's Knoxville. There are definitely the stereotypical country folk here, but there is also major money and I can't figure out where it comes from and how people have so much of it, but that's another story. . . )

But in the end, it's more than just big city life that I've been thinking about in trying to decipher my feelings. I'm not good at being "the new person" no matter what city I'm in. The feeling of being new and out of place doesn't sit well with me. I get stir crazy living in a new place. So every day I try and make an effort to get out of the house. Probably more for my sake than JB's. So in between morning and afternoon naps, my little boy and I go somewhere. Anywhere just to get out. And after an hour or two, when it's nap time again, I always say, "Okay, James, it's time to go home." And without fail, every time I say those words I feel a twinge of sadness and uncertainty. Home. Let's go home. Are we home? Is that what this is? Home? And that's been the hardest part for me. I think I feel the furthest from home I've ever been. A million miles away. So it only makes it harder when your sister and dearest friend come for a visit. A visit that is so refreshing and just what you needed (to be with people who truly know and get you, that connection usually missing by being in a new place). And, of course, as all good visits go, it goes by way too quickly. And so even though it feels like they just got here, the time comes to drop them off at the airport and say goodbye. And as you drive away and say the words "Okay, James, let's go home," you realize, looking through the rearview mirror, that "home" is standing on the curb waving goodbye to you. And then on the rest of the drive back to your house you cry because you are a baby and that's what babies do.

11 comments:

  1. You do realize that if we both got in our cars and drove for seven hours, we'd meet up with each other, right? I love you sister, and guess what? I'm the new girl in town now, too, and it's never any fun. Maybe we should chat on the phone more often. I miss you, and love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... as someone who has been the new person way way WAY too many times, I can say with confidence that it will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy how things work... Pretty soon you won't be able to imagine your life without being in Tennessee, just like you probably can't imagine life without James. It will grow on you!
    (At least I hope it will!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Brit. I wish I was there to explore your new city with you and James. That said, I'm glad you wrote down how you're feeling. Chances are, you'll come back to this post in the near future and be surprised just how much Knoxville has become "home." Hang in there. Life is all about seasons and even terrible winters turn into beautiful springs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pack a suitcase and some diapers and come visit! Then I will come out there to Dollywood. Done and done.....I miss you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this post made me cry...find a good ticket and bring James home for another visit, only after we get back from visiting Michael, Rob and Lorena

    ReplyDelete
  7. from lorena:
    beautifully said, brit. that's really sweet. funny how some places just seem to "fit" so much more than others.
    i am a bit opposite of you - strangely enough, sweden already feels a lot more like home to me than DC ever did. can't put my finger exactly on why, because i did have a good time in DC, but it never really felt like home. a bit like you describe tennessee. anyway, you will find your place there soon enough. just keep going out with james everyday and be friendly and eventually you'll find your little niche. hang in there in the meantime - it's not easy being new!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how I know how you feel.. I have been there before. At least we have the gospel and Savior to lift us up. That is what saved me in Richmond. Richmond was that way for me and over the 4 years it got better, but didn't all at the same time. Goodluck, wish I was there to make it better. A good friend can change everything. So sorry, it is not the funnest thing to feel like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pardon the cheesiness, but if home is where the heart is, then mine is with you. It's also spread out all over the place with people and places I love and miss. I adore you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, poor girl. That made me so sad. It will get better. We miss you though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If it makes you feel any better, we're in the same boat! I totally feel what you're saying. Hang in there! We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete