I am ashamed to admit that since living in Knoxville, I find myself watching a lot more TV than I used to (obviously I need to get a life and actually make some friends!). I've never been much of a TV person, probably because I always associated TV with being lazy and I never wanted to fall in that category. However, back in the day I must have watched an awful lot of TV because the other day I was reminiscing about all the TV shows I used to watch and how awesome it would be if they made a comeback. They sure don't make television shows like they used to. Remember any of these?
Ghostwriter: He's a ghost. He writes to us. Ghostwriter! Brian made a good point that this same story concept in today's era probably wouldn't work. Ghostwriter would probably be some child predator hacking into kid's Internet and tricking them into thinking something cool was going on.
Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?: I swear almost every thing I know about geography, I learned from watching this show or playing the computer game version.
Reading Rainbow: It's a crying shame that this show isn't on the air anymore. Kids these days could use something to motivate them to read more.
Square One's Mathnet: "The story you are about to see is a myth. The names are made up but the problems are real." I secretly loved this show even though I hate math. It actually made you think. Are there any shows out there that still do that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C_1okhAu5o&feature=related
If there is a smart TV producer out there who wants to figure out ways to connect with the early 80s generation, they would figure out a way to do remakes of some of these. If these kind of shows were still on the air, I wouldn't be so afraid to let James watch TV!
I loved watching Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego!!!! We watch more TV now than when we were in Richmond, perhaps it's just part of slowly adjusting to a new area. Miss y'all!
ReplyDeleteThat's so funny! I LOVED Mathnet too... wow. We were/are nerds.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, those were all my favorite shows! My mom didn't really believe in anything that wasn't educational, so yeah, I've seen all of them. If I had to pick a favorite, I guess I'd say Mathnet. Freaking hilarious.
ReplyDeleteI remember all of those shows! I have always loved TV way too much. But since moving, I've found I watch a lot more than I used to. I've been thinking I need to pull the plug and cancel cable, but I just can't bring myself to do it...maybe as my new year's resolution. I hope you guys have a Happy Thanksgiving! Will you be in UT at all for the holidays?
ReplyDeleteI LOVED ghostwriter. I even got a pen like they had that hung around my neck. I am right there with ya on the tv...I watch way too much. What a waste of time.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, I remember those shows! Loved them! Not so much Reading Rainbow, I always thought it was a little weird.....
ReplyDeleteHi! OK so i found your blog from Brianna fisher's and now I am blog stalking...errr visiting you. :) I LOVED all of those shows and I just mentioned to Kase the other day that I wish we had the carmen sandiego computer game still cause I learned a lot and I need a refresher! :)
ReplyDelete