Thursday, January 5, 2012

Back Home

After nearly a month of being gone, we finally arrived back in Tennessee late last night. For the first in a year and a half living here, I was happy to come back. That long away from our house (okay, and sleeping on a water bed) was just too long.

The only pictures I took of our entire trip were on Brian's iPhone. If he ever sends them to me I'll post some pictures (maybe).

Both James and I are sick. Not deathly ill by any means, but sick enough that it's annoying. I had a doctor's appointment this morning to check my glucose levels. The one where they make you drink that nasty orange stuff. I was already feeling queasy but when I saw that thick neon concoction, I knew it had bad news written all over it. I downed it all as fast as I could only to have it come right back up one minute later. All over the nurses' station. Awesome. Welcome back home to me. The worst part about it is I have to go back next week and drink it all over again.

Restless Leg Syndrome. It may be the death of me. It keeps me up half the night. Anyone else go through this during pregnancy (or otherwise)? I've tried jumping jacks, running in place, soaking my feet in warm water all before bed, etc. Nothing works and I'm trying to avoid taking medication. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

We're around 10 weeks away from having a baby girl. So weird. I still am not sure what I'm going to do with a girl (except try and teach her to avoid drama). I keep getting the feeling this little girl wants to come early. But, we all know how horrible my intuition is, so she'll probably come late just like James. 

This trip made me realize more than ever that close proximity to a temple is a must for our future residence. Two-three hours is just too far away for me. Every time we passed one on the freeway (at least five), or saw the lights at Temple Square, I got emotional thinking about it.

Over the holidays, I read Laura Hildebrand's Unbroken. Wow. What an inspiring/awesome story. I highly recommend it. Now I'm looking for another good book. Please send suggestions my way!



Unpacking. It just plain stinks. And that is all.

9 comments:

  1. OH, I just finished Unbroken too... I loved it. I'm glad you made it home safely. I'll have to call to hear how it all went. I'm sorry you guys are sick. I'll pray for you. I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh, I HATE restless leg syndrome! I didn't have it at all with Ryan, I swear it's a girl thing. I read online to put a bar of soap at the foot of the bed underneath the sheets. Tried it. Felt like a wacko. Seth thought I was nuts. I don't care if it was placebo, I think it helped (minimally). Eating grapefruit before bed helps me too, but that also might just be me being crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. RLS: lots and lots of water. Tragically, as a pregnant woman I feel like the last thing we want to do is have to go to the bathroom more often, but it helps. Just realized this comment makes me sound pregnant. For the record, I am NOT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the restless legs during pregnancy too (both of them) and it drove me crazy. I can't offer any good advice for calming them though - I never figured it out! We're happy to have you back! Hope you two get better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry! I had restless leg syndrome with Bridgette and it was AWFUL! I tried having Jon rub my legs, but that definitely made it worse. I wish I tips for you, but only words of encouragement. 10 more weeks!!! I can't wait to see pics of Baby Girl. It's all I know, but I absolutely love having girls and think you will too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty sure you'll know what to do with a little girl, I always think it's so weird when people say, I only have boys, what do I do with a girl? Hmm, probably the same thing you do with the boys. They're human, too, and your a girl, so you shouldn't have any problem with that.

    As for the RSL thing, I don't even know what that is, so sorry sistah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Amy talking about me in her comment?! Cuz seriously what do I do with a girl? Let her play with cars, Thomas, and Legos and dress her in blue and teach her to be a tomboy? :) maybe. I'm steering clear of anything princess.
    Anyway it was fun to see you. Sorry you aren't feeling good. Hopefully the next glucose test goes better. Any names yet? We need to chat one day cuz I have nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh one more thing. We have twin girls in our sunbeam class....oh my! I'm scared. So is Braden. He just stares at them like they're aliens. I've never seen a boy act like that. Girls are SO different than boys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two books that I read recently that I really liked were Molokai and Austenland.

    ReplyDelete