Anyone ever heard of World Book Night? It was a night designated to
giving out free books to people who are considered "light or
non-readers." So I was chosen to be a WBN ambassador and was sent a box
of books (Kite Runner) to give away. Well, the box arrived a couple of days after
WBN was supposed to take place. Now I still have a box of books to give
away. If there are any "light readers" out there who have never read
Kite Runner, please let me know and I'll save a book for you. Although I think Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns is a better read, it's worthwhile and eye opening on the devastating role the Taliban has played in Afghanistan.
Last month I read Bill O'Reilly's Killing Lincoln.
It was awesome--by far the best historical non-fiction I've read. Did I already mention that here? I might have but I am
mentioning it again because yes, it was that good. Read it already.
I'm currently reading Tina Fey's autobiography Bossypants.
Aside from the occasional inappropriate language, it is one of the
funniest things I have ever read. I haven't laughed so hard in awhile.
Usually bad language will totally deter me from a book (it's just so unnecessary), but this
book is so funny I can't help myself. If you need a good laugh, I
recommend it.
For book club next month, we're reading Heaven Is Here by Stephanie Nielson. I have mixed feelings about this that hopefully won't come across as totally insensitive to her situation. On one hand, it is definitely an inspirational story (and one of total nightmare that you hope and pray never ever happens to anyone you know). On the other hand, I've heard her story a hundred times already and I really am not a fan of her blog (bad writing, boring, and she has turned it into a promotional medium for concerts and other random products. "Mention NieNie and you'll get 20% off!" Okay, I'm done when a blog starts doing that.). So, the verdict is out on this one. I'll keep you posted.
If anyone has read anything else good lately, I'd love to hear about it.
I loved A Thousand Splendid Suns. I need to read Killing Lincoln, and perhaps I guess now Bossypants. I will not read Heaven is Here, for the same reason. I've heard the story. A lot. Also... why were you designated to be an ambassador for light/non-readers when you read a lot? :)
ReplyDeleteI'm going to have to look into Killing Lincoln. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI've been wanting to get my hands on bossypants for a while. and i'll need to read killing lincoln too . . . sorry typing one handed. i sit feeding babies so much i've thought i should read books instead of watch tv. thanks for the suggestions!
ReplyDeleteI've never read Kite Runner, but I've read A Thousand Splendid Suns, I can't read stories like that anymore, they're too sad.
ReplyDeleteLoved Killing Lincoln.
Refuse to read Heaven is Hear.
And tomorrow I'm going to the library to get Bossypants.