Friday, June 14, 2013

May Days

I had an entire blog post drafted on my phone (first and last time for that) this week but it appears not to have saved anywhere so lets start over . . .

Aside from an amazing week in California, May was not my month. Lest everyone start to think I'm a total narcissist based on my last couple posts, I'll spare every detail because I definitely was not exercising the power of positive thinking.

Just days before we left on our trip, I came down with something totally bleh. Instead of getting better, it kept getting worse until some very unpleasant symptoms showed up one morning. I was in so much pain I could hardly function and didn't have a clue how I was going to take care of my kids all day. Of course all this happened on one of Brian's on-call days where he isn't allowed to leave the hospital and wouldn't be coming home that night. I knew I needed medical attention but I had no idea what to do with the kids, etc. I laid on my bed in tears and pleaded in prayer for help and 30 seconds later, Brian called and said he was on his way home to get me to take me to the hospital. Total miracle. So, I spent the next several hours in the hospital but by that night I felt worlds better. We're still not entirely sure what I had, but I don't care as long as it never comes back.

Right after we returned from our trip, I went on a walk with the kids (on another night Brian was working late--see a pattern here? Bad things happen when he doesn't get to come home.) and totally biffed it on some wet sidewalk. My left leg was all bloody and battered and I must have twisted my right ankle going down, because when I stood up I couldn't put any pressure on it. I thought for sure it was broken. I'm not sure how I made it home, it hurt so badly. James was a good helper when we got home, but I knew I couldn't take care of our wiggle worm Livy while hopping around on one foot, so I had no choice but to put her to bed way before she was ready and listen to her cry in her crib for awhile. Poor girl. Luckily, my foot isn't broken and every day the swelling goes down and it feels a little better. I feel so lucky this didn't happen before our trip. There is no way I could have walked around theme parks all day like we did.

Speaking of our trip, it was one of the most exhausting trips I've ever taken, but it was also a little slice of heaven. Just being on the west coast was pure bliss. What is it about California that speaks to me that way? The ocean, the perfect weather, the atmosphere. Mostly the ocean. It was so hard to leave. Of course, it's always nice to come back home and sleep in our own beds.

Thanks to his recent growth spurt, James was barely tall enough to ride the new Cars ride. Surprisingly, he didn't love it like we hoped he would. He was in heaven playing with all his cousins though. I feel like I barely saw him the entire trip. Even little Livy, though more tired than any of us, was surprisingly pleasant the entire time. You just can't escape the magic of Disney.


Notice James laying on the stroller in this picture. The poor kid was so worn out. So is our stroller, by the way. It's totally broken now from his lounging on it like that. 

So, that was May. I'm totally going to try and embrace what will probably be our last summer ever in Tennessee. Here's to good times!

2 comments:

  1. BRITTANY!!!!! Call me when you need to have someone watch your kids or have an emergency! I know we're on opposite sides of town but I will be there in a heartbeat to help! I'm glad you're better and I'm sure it was terrifying and so upsetting. We need to play this month to make up for your blah May :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trips to California always make everything better. :)

    ReplyDelete