Thursday, January 23, 2014

10 Things about Livy

My awesome sister-in-law did a "10" things about each of her kids post awhile back and I liked that idea so now it's my turn.

My little girl will be two-years-old in a couple more months. She's getting so tall and when I actually take the time to fix her hair (and she'll keep it in) she looks so grown up. I've long thought this about my Liv, but especially lately it seems that I can't help but think what a gift from God she is and that I need to treasure each moment.

1. She's getting to be so beautiful. Her facial expressions are priceless. I could stare at her all day long. She readily offers hugs and kisses and has such a sensitive soul. If she knows she's done something to make me angry (like dumping the entire bottle of fish food out on the counter), her lower lip gets so pouty, tears well up, she'll run off and then come back a minute later so apologetic. I sometimes wish I could freeze time with her and don't know what I'd do without her.

2. She is always on the go. Everything is a jungle gym to her (furniture, even people, etc.). A couple weeks ago we went to our first hockey game. She wouldn't sit still for a second. During the breaks they had a bounce house set up for the kids. When the breaks were over and they'd shoo everyone out, she'd sob uncontrollably and scream, "JUMP! JUMP! PLEEEEASE!"


3. This little lady loves animals (as well as her new baby cousin Marin). One week she'll be obsessed with dogs, the next week bunnies, the next cats, etc. During last week's arctic tundra cold freeze, I took the kids to Pet's Mart because it was too cold to go to the zoo. She could have sat in front of the cat cages all day pretending that cat was her best friend. Again, she screamed when we had to leave. I really think she thought that cat wouldn't be okay without her.


4. As with James when he was her age, we are moving toward a slow but steady potty training. Livy's is mostly self-motivated. She hates having a wet diaper, will take it off herself if I don't get to it fast enough and most importantly, this girl will do anything for M&Ms. Anything. We've had a pretty awesome week with the M&M's bribing. I'm hoping she'll be as great as James with the night training too (knock on wood--he hasn't wet the bed in a year and a half now).


5. She is so concerned whenever someone is sad whether it be in real life, on TV or in stories. If someone is sad, so is Livy. It's quite sweet. When reading stories, she is not satisfied until I can convince her that the once sad character is happy now.

6. She is still super shy and totally attached to her mama. I both love this and am frustrated by this. I love that she is my girl and loves me so much but sometimes I wish she would open up and love others a little more, too. See #7. But for as attached at the hip as she is to me, she's also super independent. "I do! I do too" is a phrase heard constantly at our house. If James can do it by himself, Livy has to do it by herself, too.

7. Even mentioning the word "nursery" gives her anxiety. She will scream like she's being tortured the second we walk near the nursery room. Luckily, after peeling her away from me and handing her off to a nursery leader, she is usually fine after a few minutes . . . unless she sees me peeking in on her from the hallway. She'll hyperventilate and have a meltdown and climb over anyone and anything to get to me. Last week when I went to pick her up she squealed with delight, jumped into my arms, put her head on my shoulder, squeezed me tight and repeated over and over "Happy! Happy! Happy!" It melted my heart.

8. She loves to be outside. It doesn't matter how cold or wet it is, she will beg to go outdoors until I give in. We just can't move fast enough. Of course, being the finicky toddler she is, she'll want me to hold her most of the time and then beg to go back in 15 minutes later. Go figure. She also has a really strange fetish for putting things down her shirt, food mostly.


9. She used to sleep from around 8 p.m.-8:30 a.m. every day and then have a 2.5 hour nap. Lately, she'll only sleep from 8-7:30 and take a 1.5 hour nap. It's driving me nuts. I miss those later mornings and longer naps. I'm praying that she doesn't stop needing naps early like James did. She's also not quite as picky as James was at this age, but I fear she is getting there. She's starting to resist foods she once loved and sometimes is perfectly content not eating anything at all. She's refused to sit in a high chair (or thrown complete tantrums and refused to eat if we've forced her) for at least six months now. Needless to say, mealtime is an adventure with her.

10. I asked James what he likes best about Livy and he said playing with her and that "she makes me laugh." The girl has quite the contagious laugh and sense of humor. She loves to be chased and will laugh and squeal in the cutest way whenever you get close to catching her. James is her best buddy. Often, the first thing we hear from her in the mornings is a scream for her "JAAAAYY!"

How we love our little miss Liv.

3 comments:

  1. Her hair in pigtails kills me! I love it! And her "happy" nursery reaction is priceless! I love your children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I can't wait to see you guys in a month or so! I really wish we lived closer so our kids could play together everyday and we could do projects together. How I love your family!

    ReplyDelete