Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Welcome to Richmond!

*My little cousin Michael Jeppesen (okay, he's not so little anymore since he surpassed the 6-foot mark long ago) was called to serve in the Richmond, Virginia mission. Michael and his twin brother Kirk (who was called to Ghana, Africa) are more than just cousins to me (whether they like it or not). Since I never had younger brothers of my own, these two more or less filled those shoes. Despite the age difference, I can't think of anyone we had more fun with growing up (was it because we were so immature that we just related better? I don't know!). Since they're from the Rexburg, Idaho area, I was always envious that my sisters, who both went to Ricks College, got to hang out with them so often. Michael leaves for the MTC tomorrow and I hope he knows that although I probably won't be able to see him very often (unless he gets put in my ward), that he'll have someone nearby who is praying for him!


(Downtown Richmond)



Dear Michael (I mean Elder Jeppesen),

I honestly thought you were lying when you called to tell me you were called to serve in the Richmond, Virginia Mission. What are the chances? I'm sure you've had time to research all about it, but I wanted to share some of my favorite parts of the "mission" with you:

See this -- yeah, that's a cotton plant. Yes, cotton! There are cotton plantations in Virginia. Welcome to the south! By the way, you should probably know that you should never refer to Virginia as the STATE of Virginia. You'll get shot. Here it's the COMMONWEALTH of Virginia. Weird? Yeah, I know.


Although Kirk may be going to a place that some people refer to as the foundations of civilization, you will be going to where the foundation of America began. This is Jamestown, Virginia -- the first permanent English settlement in America.



Maybe on your p-day you and your companion can dress up like this and take pictures to send back to your family. Your mom will probably hang them on the fridge and brag about you:


What we have next is one of my favorites: Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson located in Charlottesville, Virginia. If you are lucky, maybe they'll send you here during the fall . . .


When it looks like this . . . (you don't see this back west!)



Lastly, this is Williamsburg. Another one of my favorite places to visit. And yes, people really do dress up like this and perform regularly . . .




If I had more time, I could make this post really, really long because there are so many things about Virginia that I love. Lucky for you, this is where it ends. You'll get to experience it all for yourself soon enough! I love you, Michael! Hopefully we'll run into each other somewhere in the Commonwealth soon.
Love,
Brittany





5 comments:

  1. Brittany, that was an excellent post :) I can't wait to see you guys! Thanks for all your support, love you guys and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Chapel Hill. Nice blog you got goin here. Glad we can keep up with u guys now. We still want to come up to your neck of the woods so let us know. Drew and Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brittany! I'm so glad you told me your blog address! This was a good post! Very creative and fun to see all the things out there! Maybe i need to head out there too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy do I feel left out! I just saw that you have a blog! Way to jump off the cliff along with the rest of us! Very cute and great posts! I'm so excited for you to be a mom! And to see you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete