Friday, July 31, 2009

Email Pet Peeve

I like email. I email a lot. Seriously. A LOT. For example, yesterday alone I sent out 63 emails (according to my "sent items") in an 8-hour period. And yesterday was just an average work day. During really busy days I probably send out even more than that. As a result of all this emailing and writing that I do, I type pretty fast. The last time I did an official typing test I believe it was somewhere around 75-80 wpm. Therefore, I do not think it takes any extra time to type out an entire word versus an abbreviation of that word -- especially when the word is already short to begin with. Maybe it will take a millisecond longer to type out the word in its entirety, but if you don't think you have that kind of time you seriously need to take a deep breath and slow down!

Example: I frequently send emails to my boss with items she has requested, documents for her review, etc. Her response is usually this: "Thx!" Excuse me? Thx? What is that? Was my article that I just spent several hours writing not worth enough to you to put forth the extra millisecond it would take to type the 3 extra characters in "thanks"? Are you really that busy? Every time I get her "thx" I try to come up with some justification for it in my head, but I just can't. In fact, I just timed myself and it actually took me a half-second longer to type "thx" as opposed to "thanks" because it's such an unnatural "word" to type that I had to put more effort into it. Seriously, thx? What lazy person came up with that?

Okay, that's all. It's Friday. You know it's a slow day at work when you've only sent out 21 emails. Thx for letting me vent!

8 comments:

  1. I agree! I even hate LOL too. Grrrr....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use instant messaging at my work (I know, I feel like we're all 15). I've run in to a plethora of annoying abbreviations there too.

    I'm totally with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is funny! Have you ever read the book Eats shoot and Leaves? I think you would really like it! I love it and I think if she wrote another book it could include a chapter on your point (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true!! It's much harder to think of the darn abbreviation and how to spell it than it is to just spell it out. Of course, I have to admit that I pulled something similar in elementary school when I would go up to the teacher's desk and stand in line behind other students just to ask if I could abbreviate something. There's nothing like wasting time to save a little writer's cramp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh great, now I am going to have to re-read all of our emails and see if I did that! I probably did a few times, oops! My friend is the worst! Her texts drive me crazy. For example "N E thing U need 2 know," I think that was the best one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brittany, you're hilarious!!! I now know that I move at snail pace compared to your email accomplishments - I'm lucky to get 5 out in a day! Do you text as fast?? Missed you at Book Club. How's the pregnancy?? Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I get the same thing at my job too. oiy vey!

    ReplyDelete