Toddler “busy bag” swap!
By the Rigneys
This post could also be properly entitled: My Winter Survival Kit!
This past week, I hosted a Toddler “Busy Bag” Swap in my home for a group of my friends after deciding that I needed a little help keeping my toddler busy when we are snowed-in this winter (not to mention for the times when I will be busy caring for his new little brother!).
I assigned each woman a different toddler activity (or they could come up with their own idea) to replicate 20 times (storing each activity in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag). We all met over dessert and then swapped our activities with one another. I thoroughly enjoyed watching each mom carry a huge bag filled with 20 different activities to their car! I plan to keep Sam’s “Busy Bag” stashed away until the wintertime and then slowly introduce one activity at a time.
Each activity needed to meet the following criteria:

















This past week, I hosted a Toddler “Busy Bag” Swap in my home for a group of my friends after deciding that I needed a little help keeping my toddler busy when we are snowed-in this winter (not to mention for the times when I will be busy caring for his new little brother!).
I assigned each woman a different toddler activity (or they could come up with their own idea) to replicate 20 times (storing each activity in a gallon-sized Ziploc bag). We all met over dessert and then swapped our activities with one another. I thoroughly enjoyed watching each mom carry a huge bag filled with 20 different activities to their car! I plan to keep Sam’s “Busy Bag” stashed away until the wintertime and then slowly introduce one activity at a time.
Each activity needed to meet the following criteria:
- Self-contained. This way, you can just grab a bag and GO! (without having to add a number of supplies to the bag in order to make it useful.)
- Transportable. Yes, they will definitely be used at home, but I want to be able to grab a few bags to take to a restaurant, a waiting room, plane trips, car rides, etc.
- Convenient. None of the bags will have supplies that require major set-up or clean-up: (no paint, watercolors, liquids, sand, dirt, etc.)
- Inexpensive. I didn’t want anyone spending too much money on this project!
- Easy to Make: I didn’t want anyone spending hours and hours and hours making their activity.
- Re-usable. I want these activities to last a while so that our other children can use them in the future. Therefore, I avoided activities where you would have to buy new supplies to re-stock the bag. This is why lamination is important for some of the activities.

















I'm in!!!! Let me know what I can do to help organize!!!
ReplyDeleteTotally want to do this! I've been meaning to make one for awhile but never got around to it! I'll even take the slots of two people and do two things (so that I can get two kits) seeing as how my kids are going to be toddlers at the same time soon! I even know which activities I want to do! (This is getting long... I'll just email you.)
ReplyDeleteHmmm... I might be in (how's that for a commitment?). If you end up doing a mailing version, let me know!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like something mom would have fun doing for you.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea! Some people are so creative. Not sure I should commit, but if you do end up doing a "mail" version let me know.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea! Let me know if you end up doing a mail version...I may be able to do it!
ReplyDeletemaybe if I had children...
ReplyDeletefrom Lorena: I am totally non-committal about everything right now that does not include just everyday living. But if you end up getting this going, let me know...maybe I'll have the gumption to participate then! Sounds like a good idea.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness...I LOVE the idea! I would do it...but is distance too much of an obstacle?
ReplyDelete