Monday, May 28, 2012

Williamsburg (but not the colonial part)

Ahh, vacations. How we live for them. We really needed this one, too. All of us.

It's kind of funny to think that Williamsburg, Virginia has become our vacation destination of choice. We absolutely love it there. As we drove home on Saturday we laughed that we spent an entire week there without having ever visited (or even driving by) the actual colonial part that most people go there specifically to see.

There is just something serene about the resort nestled among ancient forests, the James River, beautiful architecture, and okay, throw a golf course and tennis court or two in there and Brian is a happy man.

James loved the pool, playground and other resort activities. He was smiling, laughing and skipping around the entire time just out of pure joy of doing something fun and new.

I loved that everyone was so happy the entire time. I even made good use of the gym there, running my first mile in over a year (two, maybe?). It is sure easy to get out of shape is all I can say. A couple years ago a mile might not have phased me but I worked to get that mile in and boy was I sore the next day. It sure felt good though.

Highlights of the trip included a trip to VA Beach to see Jake and Jackie, a quick trip to D.C. and seeing Andrea there, the Jamestown ferry, the glass house, and, of course, a couple trips back up to Richmond.

Here are a few pictures. D.C. and Richmond will come in separate posts.

So call me a nerd, but the glass house in Jamestown is fascinating to me. I was hoping James would find it equally so but no such luck. Maybe someday.

We had a great time with Jake and Jackie in Virginia Beach. It was fun witnessing Jake be an actual dentist and seeing them be parents since when we last saw them they didn't have any kids. James and Tucker quickly became best buds and is still talking about how much fun he had.
The Jamestown/Surrey ferry is a favorite of ours. You get to drive your car up onto it and it takes you right across the water where you drive off once you dock at Surrey which is the quirkiest but most beautiful little town in VA. They have tobacco and cotton plantations all over the place. It's got to be one of the most beautiful drives in Virginia.


 Williamsburg, we love you. We'll be back next year!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, this is funny to me because I've been to Williamsburg at least twice and I didn't know there was anything to do except the colonial part! Now I'm tempted to go back and see the "normal" bits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMM The Cheese shop and Virginia ham. :)

    ReplyDelete