For the second day in a row, I have a massive headache. You know it's going to be a long day when you wake up with one. Usually my remedy for any type of headache is sleep, but when your three-year-old wakes up two to three times (sometimes more) every night screaming bloody murder for 13 days straight and counting, and often refusing to go back to sleep, waking up every one in the process, you don't get enough sleep to remedy anything.
I am so tired. And cranky. And impatient. And overly-emotional. And every other negative quality a mother should not possess.
All I want is for my boy to go back to sleeping normally.
The cruel irony of all this is that Livy actually started sleeping better finally. I could have finally been on the road to much needed rest (I haven't had a full nights sleep since I found out I was pregnant with her, a two year anniversary coming up in a couple months).
It all started when we got home from our three-week long trip last month. The first couple times he woke up screaming I just thought it was a fluke (he does it every now and then). But when he did it for three days straight, I knew we had a problem. It has continued ever since.
I tried being super sweet and sensitive to any fears he might have, tried reasoning with him, tried talking it out, etc. When that didn't work, the impatience kicked in and I got mean and yelled and threatened and ignored. Not surprising, that didn't work either. And then I just felt like a terrible mother.
I tried putting him to bed super early, tried reinstating naps, which
only made it worse because most days he w/couldn't fall asleep and it just made both of us crankier.
I tried researching the
issue to find solutions. So not helpful.
I prayed. But I was so tired and cranky I didn't feel like I was even in a position to receive any promptings that could possibly come. But I'm still trying.
I finally broke down and have been an emotional wreck this entire week (I almost lost it at church when Brian got stuck at work, leaving my sleep-deprived self alone to handle two cranky kids on Easter Sunday. I really couldn't handle it and it was only exacerbated by the fact that we were sitting right behind a family who had two sets of grandparents with them and an aunt and uncle or two. I have really been missing family this week. Oh, and then James refused to go to his primary class. Something he has never done before. I wanted to scream and cry and go into a coma all at once).
I am in dire need of a night alone at a hotel. Or a real vacation without kids (something that has never happened). Or both. Too bad neither is a possibility. Brian is back to his crazy 5 a.m. start days (last night didn't get home until after 1 a.m.), so we're all walking around with bags under our eyes around here.
I'm so tired that I'm not even sure what the point is of all this except it has been floating around in my head all morning and I wanted to get it out.
So if someone could send some help my way, I will take it in the form of prayers, advice, a full-time nanny, or even brownies.
Until then, this little gem kind of made me feel better (but also made me cry) last night:
Now I'm off to take some tylonel for that headache, and to try and find a positive attitude, because I just know there is a lesson somewhere here for me.

I'm so sorry Brittany! That sounds like the pits! I will keep you in my prayers, and I empathize completely!
ReplyDeleteI'm not one to support drugging your children, but just do it. Drug him, drug you, drug Livy just to be safe. Drug 'em all I say.
ReplyDeleteOh lame. I wish I had a magic cure for you... but then if I did, I would have used it on my kids by now!!
ReplyDeleteHa, I totally agree with Erin, give him some tylenol and knock him out, just for the sake of a good nights sleep. Just don't tell Brian.
ReplyDeleteOh no! I'm so sorry, Brittany.
ReplyDeleteI think Benadryl for one night would do you all a lot of good. :)
HANG IN THERE!
Oh. My. Goodness. That bites. Huge. What a rotten little stinker. I agree with Erin. Give the kid some drugs.
ReplyDeleteP.S. How does he "refuse" to go to primary? Can't you refuse to let him refuse? Stand your ground! :)
I prayed a few prayers out loud yesterday for your little man, hoping he slept well last night and that you are having a good day today. Oh the countless times I too have yelled at my kids, this parenting thing is a lot harder than I anticipated! Thinking of you Brittany!!
ReplyDeleteOh my, that was really a powerful video. That's my stage only they move across the country & the world and they are too far away to help in time of need. Remember how Amy won't sleep and would crawl in our bed almost every night...at least she didn't scream. I was so so tired back then.
ReplyDeletehey britt- I don't have a solution for you but I want you to know I'm thinking about you and praying for you all (and wish I was closer so I could come give you a break). I turn into crazy mean zombie mother when I'm not getting sleep so I relate to you there. Is he having night terrors? Most of the kids in my family have had a mild form of them and I swear Clara has already had one or two. But I don't know if they can be a nightly thing. Something to look into maybe or ask the doctor about? Good luck hun.
ReplyDeleteNight terrors?! Scarlett had them at his age and had them about 15 times a week. Lasted months. Email me if you think he has them and I'll explain what helped is. I'm so sorry.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry! That is really hard! Being tired is the hardest thing! Maybe call your Visiting Teacher and ask her to babysit while you get a nap (I have done that before). I am sure there are so many people that love you there that would love to help you get a nap so that you can think straight! I will pray for you!
ReplyDelete