The part of me that wanted to come back to work is hard to explain. I don't expect it to make sense. I often hear women say things like "I used to be this" or "I used to be that but now everything has changed" because then they grew up or they graduated from college or they got married or became a mother, etc. I always thought there was no way it would happen to me. I didn't want it to happen to me. I was plagued by fears of the unknown. I didn't know what it was like to be a mom. I only knew what it was like to have a career and my independence. What if I hated taking care of a baby full-time? What if I was bad at it? What if I never got the hang of it, what if, what if, what if . . . What I failed to consider was the other side of the what ifs. What if something else totally trumped any type of career? What if I completely fell in love with that little boy with enormous cheeks, crinkly lips and the cutest smile I have ever seen? What if leaving him breaks my heart?
So, I'm starting to see more clearly how the changes happen. You change, darn it, you just do. It's not that I still don't have dreams or wouldn't love to keep working somehow. But somewhere in the last couple of months that little boy with enormous cheeks completely stole my heart. And he needs me. So, starting March 1st, my job with the Congressman's office will be in my past. I'll still be working, just in a different capacity and at a job I didn't expect to love quite as much as I do. And although I don't love every part of the new job description (changing diapers, wiping up spit up, getting up at 3 and 5 a.m., etc.), I love my little boy and I'll do it for him, because even if he won't remember any part of the fact that I stayed home with him when he was a baby, I will remember it. And in a few years, when he turns into a punky teenager, I will look at these pictures and remind myself just how much I love him . . .
(JB with his Aunt Amy)
This is beautiful. And so, so true.
ReplyDeletehe is a lucky baby to have such a great employee :)
ReplyDeleteYour post brings tears to my eyes. All of it is so true. Years of working on a career and enjoying it and then everything changes with one life. How exciting that you will be able to be at home with your baby boy!
ReplyDeleteThat was sweet Britt-o. Although I certainly don't "get it" yet... I can see how that happens. That little guy is my favorite thing ever.
ReplyDeleteYay for motherhood and an adorable sun to accompany it. That's better than any political career you could ever have!
ReplyDeleteWell said, Brit.
ReplyDeletealthough i can't claim i wanted to go to work in the first place...i can admit i can't imagine leaving him though. babies are just amazing.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you're seeing life through a new perspective...your thought brought tears to my eyes.
ReplyDeleteThat's very tender and I wish you well in your endeavors. Those cheeks will steal a lot of hearts too.
ReplyDeleteThat was so sweet!!! I am glad you wrote that, I needed to hear that:) As crazy as things get around here and I wish I could get out of the house, I am so proud to be a stay at home mom!! Thanks for reminding me how happy I really am!!!
ReplyDeletelove it! Glad you are loving your new stage of life!
ReplyDeleteI love reading that about you! It's so much fun to watch this change. I'm so happy for your little family.
ReplyDeleteYea! No one will love him like you do!
ReplyDeletePerfectly said.
ReplyDeletefrom Lorena:
ReplyDeleteAMEN!
What more can be said, that was lovely. And the same way I felt too. We'll miss you when you move!
ReplyDeleteas someone told me, congrats on the promotion! such perfect words. i feel the same way, but could never articulate it as well. your boy is DARLING!
ReplyDelete