Sunday, October 17, 2010

Flying Advice?

I'm not sure how many people actually read this blog, but I need some advice about flying with an 11 month old. Don't be shy--please comment! I know I've asked this before, but that was back when James was six months old. The kid has changed drastically in the last five months. So, anyone out there have some good ideas? (Besides drugging him; the last time we gave him Benadryl, it had the opposite effect intended. And besides a portable DVD player. We haven't graduated to luxuries like that yet.). He's a typical 11 month old: he won't sit still, he wants to walk everywhere, and the last time he fell asleep in my arms was probably on the flight five months ago, in which he fought big time when I tried to rock him to sleep. Needless to say, I'm getting quite nervous about flying with our little wiggle worm.

Specifics are helpful, too. If you think books are the best thing, what books did your kids like at this age? What toys keep them entertained for longer than five minutes? What are some specific tricks that worked to get through a long flight? Etc., etc., etc.

Thank you!

10 comments:

  1. I flew with Bannock at 11 months and I was lucky on the way there because I managed to get him to take a nap right beforehand so he was pretty happy. I used lots and lots of snacks, a wide variety of toys (his faves) and his blanket that he goes to sleep with to help him calm down when needed. And (don't laugh), I made Ben give him and me both blessings beforehand because I was terrified. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm flying with Addy this week, and my sister recommended 2 things that worked with her daughter:
    - string (yes, simple string)
    - this spinny, light up things in the check-out aisle at Target... there's an airplane and a globe thing full of lights... very captivating for long periods of time

    Good luck! I'll be checking back here to see what other words of wisdom you get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long flights? Where are you flying to? Maybe bringing the aunt long to entertain him might work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!

    I flew with ryan a few weeks ago and was scared out of my mind about it!! It was the most uneventful flight ever, I was amazed. Probably a lot of prayer is the first answer ;)

    Also, I was lucky to be able to bring his carseat on for both flights, and it was a lifesaver. He sat in his carseat the whole flight both times, and I fed him cheerios and gave him toys to entertain himself with. I think he resigned himself to thinking he was on a car ride and I wasn't going to get him out. I also nursed him in his carseat, as humiliating as that was(with a cover don't worry!) it made a big difference!

    Good luck and I'm excited to hear other advice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just invest in a DVD player and Baby Einstein. Seriously. I am mailing you some DVD's tomorrow. It kept Carter entertained even though he couldn't hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually pack a backpack full of tricks when we fly. This is not a new idea, I know. I like those spinning airplane sucker toppers, look for them at the grocery store in the candy section. I also like Glo-Doodles, a new toy car or two, dvd's for a laptop (Signing Time is my kids' favorite at that age), finger puppets, yummy treats like those Gerber yogurt baby snacks, and maybe fun-shaped or even colorful types of pasta. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brit - I think that the best advice is to decide not to care what other people think. Isn't that what makes flying so stressful anyway? Of course you are going to do your best to keep James happy, and that is all you can do. So beyond that, just get on board that plane with confidence and think "too bad, suckas" to all the other people. It is public transportation, after all, not the movies. I think the stress of worrying about it is much worse than anything that could actually happen on the flight.

    Everyone else has such good practical advice, all I can say is ditto. Books were the magic pill for Michael - especially the ones he could manipulate (like the ones where you slide open something, or you peek behind a flap or whatever). Of course favorite snacks. And get up and walk around with him on the plane. Go to the bathroom with him even if you don't need it - just something to change the pace.
    I found that Michael was so stimulated by all the people on the plane and the lights and buttons that the plane itself was entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly, I think that you should just get a DVD player and put it on your CC. It really is a life savor for flights and doctor appointments. I put it off forever and am glad I gave in. I know this is not advice you wanted, so sorry!

    Also, call the airline the day before and see if there are enough empty spaces that they can move to a spot where you'll have a free seat for James. I think that really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. candy. suckers. they help with the ears going into the air and coming down, and as a longer form of entertainment. Throw all your normal rules out the window if you have any, and let him eat junk food. If it keeps him quiet, it's totally worth it for one day.

    :)

    Hope you guys are doing well there in Knoxville! The house is so cute!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dental Floss? No, Really, I'm serious! Stella just sat FOREVER and unflossed a whole package of Floss and she thought it was Hysterical!

    PS Lorena is Right! Decide not to care what other people think and do your best!

    ReplyDelete